By: Ar. Sandeep Shikre, Sandeep Shikre & Associates (SSA Architects)
An oasis of luxury looms tall in the heart of Mumbai, spread over sprawling acres of bespoke serenity. Island City Centre (ICC) is borne of a desire to create an iconic building unique to Mumbai. With advanced technologies and building materials, ICC is an innovative and timeless design that adds to the history and roster of Mumba’s landmark buildings. The architecture is finely crafted, precise, elegant and striking.
The biophilic entrance with its green wall, water wall, and green islands are inspirational, therapeutic, healthy, and integrative spaces with the functionality of the place. ICC makes a dominating impression on the skyline, while the true colour of the glass panels easily blends with the sky on a clear day. The building takes a minimalist approach to form, drawing attention to its considered “materiality, lightness, transparency and order”. The façade’s sleek glass curtain wall presents a solid figure Being one of the first fully glazed residential towers in Mumbai, ICC has raised the bar regarding technology and meticulous detailing of each space and element.
The façade of these two buildings is a humongous 61,000 Sq m surface area that was installed in the span of 3 years, being the fastest façade installation of residential towers in India. The double-glazed UVresistant glass façade bears a contemporary appearance designed to reduce noise pollution by nearly 40 decibels and energy consumption by approximately 24%. Leakproof and fire resistant, this high-grade, easy-to-maintain glass façade consists of 43% vision glass that provides optimal natural light.
Down at street level, a double-height glazed lobby space will act as a link to the site context. The interiors feature a material palette of white, grey and earth tones complemented by wood, plaster and glass. In addition, residents will have access to a multitude of building amenities at the podium level, including an indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, child playroom, game room, and clubhouse.
ICC has attained IGBC gold for all sustainable practices adopted for the project, including the façade glass, Fenestration installations at ICC optimum air-conditioning, recycled wastewater for flushing and irrigation, e-vehicles compliant, waste segregation, etc. The campus has more than 50 amenities and lush green garden spaces with more than 700 trees planted across the podium and ground floor driveway areas. SSA would like to share the credit for the initial master plan and concept done by Ar. Hafeez Contractor for this project. Looking through the ICC glass, your perspective instantly widens. It’s magical.
• Project: One and Two ICC, Island City Center
• Location: Wadala, Mumbai
• Client: Bombay Realty
• Architect: Sandeep Shikre Architects
• Structure: Buro Happold, New York & JW Consultants, Mumbai
• MEP: S.N. Joshi Consultants Pvt. Ltd., Pune
• Façade: Pridemann India Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai & Enclosure Façade Pvt. Ltd.
• Lighting: Abhay Wadhwa Associates (AWA), USA & India
• Landscape: Green Space Alliance, USA & India
• Green building certification: Ankoor Sanghvi Architects, Rajkot
• Fire and life safety: Olsson Fire and Risk UK Ltd, Manchester
• Security: Mahindra Special Services Group, Mumbai
• Signage: 10 March, Mumbai
Materials used for façade & fenestration:
• Cladding: Cera Grey Granite for ground and podium level
• Building envelope: Unitised aluminium composite panels, high-performance DGU glazing, powder-coated aluminium louvers
• Double glazed Unitised panels: Typical Panel Size: 1.2m x 3.4m
• Vision glass: KS 138 II 8mm Heat Strengthen + 12mm Air gap + 6mm Clear Toughened Glass
• Spandrel glass: ST 108 8mm Heat Strengthen Glass
• Commencement date: June 2014
• Completion date: December 2020