Home > Interview > We Believe in Continuous Improvement, Maintaining Forward-Looking Perspectives to Offer Exceptional Products and Experiences to Our Valued Customers and Partners
post detail page top
We Believe in Continuous Improvement, Maintaining Forward-Looking Perspectives to Offer Exceptional Products and Experiences to Our Valued Customers and Partners
Parul Mittal, Greenlam Industries Ltd.
In an interview with Parul Mittal Director, Greenlam Industries Ltd. she talks about the company, the major milestones achieved by the company over the years the company’s journey so far, expansion plans, and much more.
Please tell us about the company Greenlam Industries & its products. When was it established?
Greenlam is among the world’s top 3, Asia’s largest and India’s No. 1 surfacing solutions brand. With its presence in over 100 countries, Greenlam has focused on developing quality products with a great passion for innovation. It offers end-to-end surfacing solutions spread across decorative laminates, compact laminates, interior and exterior clads, restroom cubicles and locker solutions, decorative veneers, engineered wooden floors and doors, and now Greenlam Industries plans to foray into the space of substrates, by providing plywood, under the brand name of Mikasa Ply.
With over 30 years of its legacy, Greenlam aims and acts to save and preserve nature in its pristine form by sourcing raw materials ethically from the world over, thereby ensuring they are environmentally friendly and safe to use.
What are the major milestones in the company’s journey?
Greenlam Industries embarked on its journey with a visionary dream to revolutionise the interior space industry. In 1992, the manufacturing plant in Behror, Rajasthan, was inaugurated, marking the beginning of commercial laminate production under the brand name Greenlam in 1993.
To meet the growing market demand, the company added several presses over the years to increase production capacity. Expanding its vision to transform interior spaces, Greenlam founded Decowood Veneers in 2002, venturing into the woodallied product category. In 2005-2008, the company stepped into international markets, leaving its mark in Singapore and the US. This global expansion led to the establishment of the second manufacturing plant in Nalagarh, Himachal Pradesh, in 2008.
The company’s dedication to producing premium laminates earned its recognition as India’s largest exporter in the industry in 2010-2011, and it was acknowledged as one of the Top 100 Power Brands in India. In 2014, the introduction of Mikasa Floors expanded its product offerings, followed by the launch of Mikasa Doors in 2015, further strengthening its position in the interior solutions market.
Greenlam Industries became a listed entity on the Stock Exchange in 2015. Over the years, the company has witnessed monumental growth, with the Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) count increasing from 60+ to 10,000+, team members growing from 50 to 5,000+, and channel partners expanding from 1 to 28,000+. Today, with a presence in 100+ countries and a portfolio of 15+ brands, Greenlam Industries stands as one of the top 3 laminate brands globally, recognised for its quality, health, and environmental certifications. The journey of 30 years has transformed Greenlam Industries into a leader in the industry, offering innovative & sustainable interior solutions worldwide.
Please tell us about your company’s manufacturing facilities.
Greenlam Industries Ltd. has four state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in the country located at Behror (Rajasthan), Nalagarh (Himachal Pradesh), Prantij (Gujarat) and Tindivanam (Tamil Nadu). The plant in Tindivanam, Tamil Nadu has started the manufacturing of Plywood, marketed under the brand name – Mikasa Ply. The company is also in the process of setting up a new manufacturing unit for laminate and particle board at Naidupeta, Andhra Pradesh.
What do you see as the main challenges faced by the laminate industry?
Parul Mittal (PM): In the laminate industry, a significant challenge stems from its heavy reliance on retail. Ensuring widespread product availability and timely delivery to various retail points is crucial for any laminate brand’s success. Overcoming this challenge is a major determinant of success in the laminate business.
In addition to this inherent issue, new challenges are emerging, demanding attention from brands to remain relevant in the current market landscape. Brand Outreach: As the industry becomes saturated with local and unbranded players, establishing a credible brand is of paramount importance. Demonstrating this credibility to all relevant stakeholders through effective and consistent communication becomes essential for gaining recognition and respect.
Evolving Customer Needs: The ever-changing preferences of consumers and the shorter lifespans of design collections require companies in the laminate industry to constantly adapt. Staying ahead of the dynamic environment necessitates keeping product offerings & services up-to-date and cutting-edge. Successfully addressing these challenges will be crucial for laminate brands to maintain their competitive edge and thrive in the ever-evolving market.
Where do you see the cladding industry evolving over the next 10 years?
The cladding industry is poised for a significant transformation in the next decade. Homeowners and architects are increasingly prioritizing aesthetics and environmental impact when it comes to façades. As a result, the industry can anticipate substantial changes ahead.
• Sustainability and Eco-Friendly Materials: With increasing environmental awareness, there will likely be a greater emphasis on sustainable and eco-friendly cladding materials. The industry may witness a shift towards more renewable and recycled materials, as well as the adoption of energy-efficient and environmentally responsible manufacturing processes.
• Smart Cladding Solutions: The integration of smart technologies into cladding systems could become more prevalent. Smart cladding might include features like self-cleaning surfaces, adjustable shading, or embedded sensors for temperature and energy management.
• Digital Design & Customization: With advancements in digital design and manufacturing technologies, architects & designers may have access to more customizable and intricate cladding options. Digital fabrication techniques may allow for unique and complex cladding designs.
• Energy Efficiency and Building Performance: Cladding systems might be engineered to enhance the energy efficiency and overall performance of buildings. Integration of renewable energy elements into cladding, such as solar panels or solar-active coatings, could contribute to energy generation and reduce a building’s carbon footprint.
• Resilient and Climate-Adaptive Cladding: In response to climate change and extreme weather events, cladding materials may be designed to offer greater resilience and adaptability, providing protection and durability in challenging conditions.
What keeps your company ahead of its competitors in terms of products and services offered?
At Greenlam Industries, we pride ourselves on staying proactive and updated to meet market requirements, trends, and expectations while tackling challenges head-on. We have made significant progress, attributed to a few key factors:
• Updated Product Portfolio: We consistently upgrade our portfolio with the latest designs and innovations, enriching our product range and providing customers with diverse options. This commitment reinforces Greenlam’s brand presence and ensures we offer cutting-edge solutions.
• Digital transformation: Embracing the latest digital technologies and incorporating them in our products and services is a key driving factor for us. Over the years, we have deployed the latest technologies in the manufacturing of our products to provide cutting-edge solutions. We have also introduced digital tools within the organization across departments, to enhance our communication, supply chain and customer service.
• New-Age Approach: Embracing digital technologies, we enhance brand visibility and elevate the customer experience. By investing in modern tools, we connect with our audience more effectively and efficiently.
• Strengthening Relationships: Building strong bonds with key stakeholders, such as contractors, architects, and interior designers, is vital for us. Through various programmes and workshops, we actively engage with stakeholders and channel partners, both locally and internationally, fostering lasting relationships. At Greenlam Industries, we believe in continuous improvement and maintaining a forward-looking perspective to offer exceptional products and experiences to our valued customers and partners.
Parul Mittal, Greenlam Industries Ltd.
Parul Mittal, Director at Greenlam Industries Ltd., has been actively associated with the company since its inception in 2013. She joined the Board of the Acquirer in November 2014. With over two decades of experience in marketing and design, she has been a driving force in helping the brand grow exponentially at both national and international levels. She has a positive bias towards initiatives that catalyze business growth to achieve excellence. At Greenlam, she has also been leading the Corporate Social Responsibility Initiatives across segments of health, education, and community welfare in multiple areas in Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh. She is also passionate about building strong communities of individual employees, business partners, investors, customers, and society at large. Parul Mittal possesses an in-depth knowledge of global design trends, marketing strategies, and brand building. Over the years, one of the many valuable lessons she has learned is that leadership ought to be more participative and inclusive. Analytical, straightforward, and focused, Parul ensures that Greenlam Industries is on a rapid growth track and delivers value across customers.